changing line length in nroff

David Harrison harrison at utfyzx.uucp
Fri Mar 3 11:38:21 AEST 1989

In article <18493 at adm.BRL.MIL> Leisner.Henr at xerox.com (Marty) writes:
>I used a number of variations of the
>.ll +n command
>and nothing seems to have an impact after a
>.PP command.

I tried mailing this response but it bounced.  So --

If the .PP indicates you are using the ms macros, your problem
is that those macros use a number register named "LL" for the
line length, which resets the line length to its values whenever
you invoke the ".PP" command among others.  The following will
increase the line length by 1 inch:

Here is a sentence with the default line length.
.nr LL +1i
.PP
Here is the second sentence with the new line length.

PS. The rate of bounced mail seems to be increasing logarithmically.
    Lately if its important I've resorted to the Post Office carrying
    around ink stained dead trees, ie: paper.
--
David Harrison, Dept. of Physics, Univ. of Toronto |  "Space and time are
UUCP: {utgpu,sq,oscvax}!utfyzx!harrison            |   adverbs"