Some csh how-to, please

Seth Robertson sethr at cunixc.cc.columbia.edu
Thu Mar 30 04:03:54 AEST 1989

In article <7485 at thorin.cs.unc.edu> bollella at ra.UUCP (Gregory Bollella) writes:
>>In article <2127 at pikes.Colorado.EDU>, pklammer at pikes.Colorado.EDU (Peter Klammer) writes:
>>> Could someone please tell me how to read a file line at a time
>>> into the C shell?  Better yet, can you refer me to any good C-shell
>>> text.
>> [Method deleted]
>I tried the above on a large file and it did not work.  csh reported
>       Too many words from ``.
>The file was 118583 bytes.  Does anybody have any ideas on how to
>get around this limit and still get one line at a time?

I don't know how to do it in csh, but the method that works for (k)sh is:

#! /bin/sh
exec 3<&0 < /usr/local/lib/ctrsuns
while read test
do
echo $test
rsh $test -n "$1"
done
exec 0<&3 3<&-

This gives the error missing name for redirect.  You might
be able to fool around with it and get it working...

					-Seth
					 seth at ctr.columbia.edu