Some csh how-to, please

SVS dje at imokay.dec.com
Tue Mar 28 23:47:00 AEST 1989

pklammer at pikes.Colorado.EDU (Peter Klammer) writes:
> Could someone please tell me how to read a file line at a time
> into the C shell?  Better yet, can you refer me to any good C-shell
> text.  So far my references are mere appendices in UNIX manuals with,
> "here's a table of equivalent Bourne and C shell commands..."; next to
> 'read' in the Bourne column is a blank in the C shell column.  THANKS!

Check the csh meta-variable $<, which (and I quote from man):

Substitutes a line from the standard input, with no further interpretation
thereafter.  It can be used to read from the keyboard in a shell script.

----
David Ellis
Digital Equipment Corporation -- BXB1-1/D03
85 Swanson Road, Boxboro MA 01719 -- (617) 264-5073
Usenet:  {ucbvax,allegra,decvax}!decwrl!ultra.dec.com!ellis
ARPA:    ellis%ultra.dec at decwrl.dec.com