anonymous FTP from System V

Scott Hammond scott at rdahp.UUCP
Fri Mar 10 13:22:09 AEST 1989

In article <18583 at adm.BRL.MIL> RSILVERMAN at eagle.wesleyan.edu (Richard Silverman) writes:

>	Does anyone have experience setting up anonymous FTP on a System
>V machine?  I am working on an AT&T 3B2 under version 3.1, and am having
>some difficulty....

I've never seen quite the problem you describe, but I know of a similar
problem.  When using anon ftp on a 3B2 with SysV3.1 and WIN3B/1.1, I
would log in as you did, but trying to look at the directory never
produced a response, or I should say the response was always as if there
was nothing in the directory at all.

Well anyway, the "fix" which I accidentally discovered was to place in
the ftp bin directory an "ls" from a 3b15 running SysV2.1.2.  Worked
just fine.  The AT&T solution was to buy the upgrade to WIN3B.

Your problem reminds me of a protected (chroot) environment a friend
created for tftpd, so that a Proteon router on campus could do an
auto-boot from it.  The thing he originally overlooked but later
discovered was that he had to have a tftp/dev directory with a network
device(s) in it.  Don't know if this might apply to your situation or
not.

--
Scott Hammond,  R & D Associates, Marina del Rey, CA  (213) 822-1715
: {sdcrdcf,zardoz}!rdahp!scott
:  rdahp!scott at sm.unisys.com
:  scott at harris.cis.ksu.edu