anonymous FTP from System V

Richard Silverman RSILVERMAN at eagle.wesleyan.edu
Wed Mar 8 22:48:56 AEST 1989

	Does anyone have experience setting up anonymous FTP on a System
V machine?  I am working on an AT&T 3B2 under version 3.1, and am having
some difficulty.  The home directory for the ftp login is /usr/ftp, and that
tree looks like this:

directories	files
-----------	------------
ftp/bin		ls sh
ftp/etc		group passwd
ftp/shlib	libc_s
ftp/pub

The protections are fine (for argument's sake, I made them all 777).  I can
log in as 'anonymous' just fine, but when I try to get a directory, ftp returns
the error "data socket not created (0.0.0.0,0)".  I can perform the steps
that the manual says ftp goes through myself without problems: chroot to
the home directory and run ls.  Any help will be very much appreciated,

                                                Richard Silverman

arpa:	rsilverman at eagle.wesleyan.edu           Wesleyan University
bitnet:	rsilverman at wesleyan                     Middletown, CT
CIS:	[72727,453]                             06457