backup with compressed cpio files ?

Ric Urrutia ric at Apple.COM
Sat Mar 11 08:49:38 AEST 1989

>In <9100001 at netmuc> bothe at netmuc.UUCP writes:
>
>>has anyone tested to backup compressed cpiofiles ?
>>find . -print |  cpio -oac | compress >/dev/rmt0

I suggest using the following command to write the file
	find . -depth -print | cpio -o | compress | dd bs=8k of=/dev/rmt0
	(I use 8k on my cartridge but use whatever blocking factor is
		appropriate for your system.)

To uncompress the tape file, use the following command:
	dd if=/dev/rmt0 bs=8k | uncompress | cpio -ivdum (or whatever cpio
		options you need).

Good luck!