termcap description

Tom Yager tyager at apollo.COM
Sat Mar 11 07:39:00 AEST 1989

In article <3416 at uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> cs411s03 at uhccux.UUCP (Cs411s03) writes:
>In article <1571 at amelia.nas.nasa.gov> samlb at pioneer.arc.nasa.gov.UUCP (Sam Bassett RCD) writes:
>>
>>	RTFM 'man 5 termcap'
>>Sam'l Bassett, Member of the Technical Staff, Sterling Software
>>@ NASA Ames Research Center, Moffett Field CA 94345
>>Work: (415) 694-4792;  Home: (415) 454-7282
>>samlb%well at lll-crg.ARPA   Compuserve:  71735,1776
>
>Speaking of the 'man' command ... I recently purchased the 1.0.5 386/ix OS
>thru the deal which was mentioned on the net lately.  I like everything I
>got, and the system looks like pretty vanilla SYS V, unfortunately no online
>manual is to be found. A few man pages were installed in /usr/catman when I
>installed the 2.0.2 Text Processing Workbench (DWB), but there are NONE for
>the OS itself, and the C compiler, system calls, etc. anyone out there have
>any ideas where these can be had ? Does AT&T have them for UNIX SYSV/386 ?

No vanilla SysV system I've ever seen has man pages. SCO made them available
for Xenix (one of the things I like best about that OS) when you bought the
Text Processing stuff. They covered all sections of the user's, programmer's
and system administrator's reference manuals.

I assume the reason they were able to do this was that they produce their
own manuals. A few tweeks, and a troff'ed manual page slides nicely through
nroff. ISC doesn't provide manuals, and I don't know how Microport produces
theirs (they ship their own, as well).

Some third-party should buy a license for AT&T's docset and produce man
pages from them. Since all the '386 Unixes will be the same soon (3.2),
we could have a nice "one size fits all" docset on disk.
(ty)
--
+-Tom Yager, Apollo Computer Unix SysV R&D------------ARPA: tyager at apollo.com-+
| The opinions expressed here are                -or- tyager%maxx at m2c.m2c.org |