vi-like editor for the IBM PC

Colin Plumb w-colinp at microsoft.UUCP
Wed Mar 1 16:38:44 AEST 1989

ked at garnet.berkeley.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) wrote:
> MKS (Mortice Kern Systems)
>
> Offers a variety of packages that include vi, awk, and other **IX utilities.
> These are as close to the "real" thing as you can get under MiSerable Dos.
>
> No connection with the company except as a very, very satisfied user.

I'd like to second this recommendation.  You can ^Z out of vi back
into sh (the Korn shell)!  Everything is wonderfullest!

Here's the list of what's in the "MKS Toolkit":
alias	(part of /bin/sh)
awk	(new awk, as described in "The AWK Programming Language")
banner
basename
break	(part of /bin/sh)
c	(no, not cc)
cal
cat
cd	(also chdir)
chmod
cmp
comm
compress
continue(part of /bin/sh)
cp	(no -r, sigh)
cpio
crypt	(adds DES encryption to Unix utility)
ctags
cut
date
dd
deroff
dev	(Messy-DOS specific; prints info on all installed device drivers)
df
diff
diff3
dirname
.	(part of /bin/sh)
du
echo	(separate and part of /bin/sh)
ed
env
eval	(part of /bin/sh)
exec	(part of /bin/sh)
exit	(part of /bin/sh)
expand
export	(part of /bin/sh)
expr
fc	(also r and history; part of /bin/sh)
fg
file	(uses /etc/magic)
find
fmt
fold
getopt
grep	(also fgrep and egrep
gres	(stolen from MINIX - simple subset of sed)
head
help	(sorry, no man pages, but this gives a few lines of help)
init	(reads /etc/inittab and everything)
jobs
join
kill
lc
let	(part of /bin/sh)
line
login	(uses /etc/passwd and everything)
ls
mkdir
mv
nl
nm
od	(can also dump raw disks)
pack
passwd
paste
pcat
pg	(and more)
pr
print	(part of /bin/sh)
prof	(DOS-specific implementation; requires no special linking)
ps
pwd	(separate and part of /bin/sh)
read	(part of /bin/sh)
readonly(builtin alias in /bin/sh)
return	(part of /bin/sh)
rev
rm
rmdir
sed
set	(part of /bin/sh)
sh	(full korn shell including command-line editing; also includes rsh)
shift	(part of /bin/sh)
size
sleep
sort
spell
split
strings
strip
sum
switch	(lets you use - instead of / as option char in Messy-DOS)
sync
tail
tee
test	(separate and part of /bin/sh; also [)
time	(separate and part of /bin/sh)
times	(part of /bin/sh)
touch
tr
trap	(part of /bin/sh)
true	(part of /bin/sh; also :)
tty
typeset	(part of /bin/sh; nothing to do with troff or typesetting)
ulimit	(part of /bin/sh; of limited usefulness)
unalias	(part of /bin/sh)
uname
uncompress
unexpand
uniq
unpack
unset	(part of /bin/sh)
unstrip	(Messy-DOS specific; puts symbols from a .map file into a .exe)
vi
wc
whence	(part of /bin/sh)
which