Future at Berzerkeley

Eduardo Krell ekrell at hector.UUCP
Fri Mar 31 10:32:29 AEST 1989

In article <4814 at macom1.UUCP> larry at macom1.UUCP (Larry Taborek) writes:
>My question is, since Berkeley has been paying licsence fees to
>AT&T for portions of their code, will AT&T pay Berkeley for
>portions of their code included in SVR4?

As far as I know, AT&T is negotiating with Sun to merge SunOS features
into SVR4, not with Berkeley. What the financial arrangements between
AT&T and Sun are, I have no idea.

Does Sun pay Berkeley for using BSD code in SunOS? How about
all other vendors who are "BSD derivatives"? Isn't BSD code public
domain (that is, BSD code that is not derived from AT&T)? If so, why
should AT&T or Sun or anyone else have to pay for getting something
that's already in the public domain?

Eduardo Krell                   AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ

UUCP: {att,decvax,ucbvax}!ulysses!ekrell  Internet: ekrell at ulysses.att.com