eqn matrices

Kenneth L Moore kenmoore at unix.cis.pitt.edu
Tue Nov 28 15:56:40 AEST 1989

In article <1526 at gwusun.gwu.edu> fc121102 at gwusun.gwu.edu (Michael J. Lamoureux) writes:

==>	I'm having somewhat of a ridiculous problem with eqn.  I've tried
==>under SunOS 3.4 & 4.0 to no avail.  I can't seem to get eqn to parse the
==>matrix command.  It just chokes and says syntax error.

One problem may be that you are not forcing a break page. Try a

.bp

at the end of the page you are having trouble in. I got in the habit of
doing this and avoided many problems.

Another problem I have encountered is that the matrix must be under a
certain dimension. Try a 3x3 to start and work your way up.

Also, try the size command. Something like:

.EQ
size 8 {expression}
.EN

to reduce the size of the characters.

==>	While I'm asking, does anyone know how to get a multiplication dot in
==>eqn or troff?  I tried \(m. but that doesn't work.  Am I just SOL?

Isn't this one of the special symbols like "dot"? i.e.

.EQ
X dot Y
.EN

==>Thanks
==>
==>Michael Lamoureux

I have used eqn under sun 3.4 and 4.0 with no problems.

Take these answers with a grain of salt as I haven't used eqn in a
while. But they may put you in the ball park.