who

tom reingold tr at madeleine.ctt.bellcore.com
Thu Nov 30 08:19:38 AEST 1989

On the subject of "who", jonas at lkbpyr.UUCP (Jonas Heyman) writes:

$ We have a Pyramid 9820 running both System V and BSD with version 4.1.
$ I've just noticed that   'att who'   compared to   'ucb who'   displays
$ different numbers of users.
$ Sometimes when we take down the system there is users left if you run
$ 'who' but you can't get hold of the process number.
$ So it seems that 'who' doesn't tell the truth.
$ Could anyone help with this problem and point out what to do.

Are you using the "screen" program that circulates around on the net?
This is tricky to use on a Pyramid because of the two universes.  It
updates /etc/utmp, which is a conditional link.  If it runs in the ucb
universe, it updates the ucb version, leaving entries out of the att
version.  If it is run in the att universe, it corrupts the utmp file.

If you are not using "screen", check to see if you are running
abother nonstandard program that writes to /etc/utmp.

Tom Reingold                   |INTERNET:       tr at bellcore.com
Bellcore                       |UUCP:           bellcore!tr
444 Hoes La room 1H217         |PHONE:          (201) 699-7058 [work],
Piscataway, NJ 08854-4182      |                (201) 287-2345 [home]