Can't ftp from System V to BSD.

Ellen F Quaadgras equaad at athena.mit.edu
Thu Nov 30 06:21:10 AEST 1989

        I am having trouble ftp-ing from a 3B2 running UNIX System V
to certain systems running BSD (or BSD look alikes such as AIX).
Although I can log into the remote system and do a PWD, I can't use
any commands that require a data connection (e.g. ls, put, get). When
I try, I get the error message : "Can't build data connection."
        The 3B2 is running WIN3B version 2.1.

        Any ideas that might shed some light on the situation would be
very much appreciated! Thanks in advance...
                -Ellen

*** Please mail replies to: equaad at sloan.mit.edu or equaad at mit2d.mit.edu!!! ***