core files under SV

Randal Schwartz merlyn at iwarp.intel.com
Tue Nov 21 08:15:24 AEST 1989

In article <29843 at iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>, bobmon at iuvax (RAMontante) writes:
| Um, I don't see why this "reaps the zombies".  I thought the `wait(pid)'
| call was added to clean up the aborted child --- here the child is
| wait()'ed on, but the grandchild looks just like the child did in the
| original version.

Ahhh, yes, but the grandchild is inherited by init, having been
orphan-ed by its parent.  The original process will not see the
grandchild as a potential child to be "wait"-ed for.

I don't like the presented code though, in that it will reap other
children that have not yet been wait-ed for.  There's no way around
that, though.  (Cursory glancing at the wait4() manpage under SunOS4
does not tell me if wait4() suffers from the same deficiency.  Anyone
know, offhand?  Mail please.)

Just another wait()-person,
--
/== Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095 ====\
| on contract to Intel's iWarp project, Hillsboro, Oregon, USA, Sol III  |