vi editor enhancement request

Randal Schwartz merlyn at iwarp.intel.com
Thu Nov 16 11:57:26 AEST 1989

In article <456 at tron.UUCP>, wali at tron (Saleem Wali) writes:
|  Now that I have your attention.............
|  (vi editor) Is there anyone who knows of a utility which allows "vi" to
|  display various information, e.g., the filename, time, and
|  whether I am in the insert mode or in the command mode, at the top of
|  the screen.

yeah, have your sysadm do "mv /usr/local/emacs /usr/ucb/vi" :-)

Otherwise, no luck.  You can press ^G a lot, but that doesn't really
help.  To find out if you are in insert mode, hit ESC, and if it
doesn't beep, you *were* in insert mode.

What can I say, it's "vi".  (or is that "vee-eye"?? :-)

Just another satisfied GNU-EMACS (former vi) user,
--
/== Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095 ====\
| on contract to Intel's iWarp project, Hillsboro, Oregon, USA, Sol III  |