vi editor enhancement request

Kenneth L Moore yahoo at unix.cis.pitt.edu
Thu Nov 16 08:09:49 AEST 1989

In article <5530 at ethz-inf.UUCP> wyle at ethz.UUCP (Mitchell Wyle) writes:
>In article <456 at tron.UUCP> wali at tron.UUCP (Saleem Wali) writes:
==>==> (vi editor) Is there anyone who knows of a utility which
==>==> allows "vi" to
==>==>**   Westinghouse Electric Corp.   *    New on the job
==>
==>-Mitch (vi fanatic) Wyle

You two might want to think about switching to emacs.

The file name is always displayed. Command and insert are unambiguous.

Emacs even allows for the execution of unix commands while in the
editor. For example: I type Capture Command Output then type date. This
gives me the time in my file at the current cursor position. There are
infinite variations on this theme. (You might dump the result to a
buffer. You may want to to an ls -l on the file you are working on,
etc.)

Here is an example:

Wed Nov 15 15:54:40 EST 1989

The big deal though is that emacs is "universal".  We currently have 3
versions of emacs (that I know of) one on the VAX, one on our Ultrix and
one on our Suns.  I currently switch from machine to machine with very
little difficulty.  Caveat: A few of the commands are slightly
different.

It is difficult to change editors but in this case it is worth it. IMHO.

See newsgroup gnu.emacs

--
                 yahoo at unix.cis.pitt.edu (Kenneth L Moore)