SunOS 4.0.3 swapping across multiple drives........

Stan Hanks stan at squazmo.solbourne.com
Thu Nov 30 06:56:22 AEST 1989

In article <21540 at adm.BRL.MIL> konczal at mail-gw.ncsl.nist.gov (Joseph C. Konczal) writes:
>RTFRTF. (Read the RTF.)  The SunOS 4.0.3 RTF (Read This First), Rev. B
>of  August 1989,  page  11,  under [Known   Problems]  Utilities, says
>"`config' will not define multiple swap partitions."  No workaround is
>given in the RTF.

While I don't have any experience doing this on a Sun, I did jack around
with this for quite some time on my Solbourne 4/602 running OS/MP 4.0A
(which is basicly SunOS 4.0.1 with some other bug fixes) and found that
if you just keep the config line as:

	"blah blah.... swap generic"

then add the appropriate lines to /etc/fstab:

/dev/sd1b	      swap                  swap rw          0 0

that it all worked as advertised. Spielunking the source, I found
that the old swap syntax of letting you name the partitions was no
longer recognized. I didn't check the raw SunOS source, but our
modifications to config were minimal.

Sigh. Another link to the past broken.....

Regards,

--
Stanley P. Hanks   Science Advisor                    Solbourne Computer, Inc.
Phone:             Corporate: (303) 772-3400           Houston: (713) 964-6705