SunOS 4.0.3 swapping across multiple drives........

Farooq Butt fmbutt at cloud9.Stratus.COM
Thu Nov 23 02:28:11 AEST 1989

Hi here Net-OIDS !

I have a question about swapping across multiple drives on SunOS 4.0.3.
I thought that my 3/280 was running out of swap space so I configured it
to swap on a new disk in addition to its current swap (It used to swap
on xd0b only, I configured the kernel to swap on xd6f too ... total
swap was 35M, it became 85M after the second swap area was added).  I
changed the kernel line that told the system:
    ... root on xd0a swap on xd0b
    ... root on xd0a swap on xd0b swap on xd6f

Now, I thought that all I needed to do was to add a line saying
"swapon /dev/xd6f" in /etc/rc.local to add swapping on the 2nd drive.  To my
shock and horror, during the kernel boot dialog, I saw that the Sun
seemed to be telling me that it was now swapping on my new drive (i.e.
xd6f).  Which one is it really swapping on ? Can I come up without
/dev/xd6f or am I now doomed to have both xd0 and xd6 around at boot
time ? What happened to the swap entry for xd0b that had been there
all along ? Is the boot dialog just telling me half the story ?
What is the swapon command I need to put in rc.local ?

Inquiring minds want to know...

fmbutt at cloud9.UUCP

--
NOTHING  in the above article has the slightest relationship to reality.
If any reality correspondences are found, please notify me IMMEDIATELY.