df under Xenix 2.2.3 (and earlier?)

Bill Aten bill at netagw.uu.net
Tue Nov 14 11:55:37 AEST 1989

In article <228 at flagship.UUCP> lucio at flagship.UUCP (Lucio) writes:
>In sendbatch there is a test for the amount of free space available
>on the device containing the spool directory. On my machine the test
>should read:
>
>	df /usr/spool
>
>but in this form it fails because, as df reports:
>
>	df: /usr/spool not block special

The key here is the word DEVICE not DIRECTORY.  When you issue the command
'df' from the prompt you will probably see '/' and '/u' devices listed.
Depending on how you set up Xenix, you may see a '/usr' device.  These are
your filesystems and this is what sendbatch is trying to check.  In the
example you gave, sendbatch should either be looking at '/' or '/usr',
depending on your setup.  The fact that 'usr/spool' is part of '/' (or
possibly 'spool' is part of '/usr') doesn't matter.  When the '/' (or
'/usr') device is full -- it's full.  And that is what sendbatch is
checking for.

Hope this helps...
Bill Aten                             |   Internet:  bill at netagw.uu.net
UUCP:  ...!uunet!netagw!bill          | Compuserve:  70270.451 at compuserve.com