df under Xenix 2.2.3 (and earlier?)

Lucio lucio at flagship.UUCP
Fri Nov 10 05:09:06 AEST 1989

In sendbatch there is a test for the amount of free space available
on the device containing the spool directory. On my machine the test
should read:

	df /usr/spool

but in this form it fails because, as df reports:

	df: /usr/spool not block special

Whereas Xenix therefore seems to expect a special device (it says so
in the manual pages), it seems that most other ports, including the
MKS tools, are happy with a directory and determine the device that
contains the given directory. Has this problem (?) been rectified in
Xenix 2.3 and SCO Unix V.3.* and, if not in 2.3, has anybody a
workaround? A technique (I presume the real df does this) to translate
a directory name with the containing device seems a reasonable
solution.

Thanks, netfolks.