system recommendation sought

David W. Tamkin dattier at jolnet.ORPK.IL.US
Wed Oct 4 14:35:10 AEST 1989

A friend of mine has been assigned by his employer to purchase the foundation
for a new system to be set up.  He is looking for a Unix system that can
handle roughly 1000 accounts and a maximum of about fifty simultaneous logons.

Advice on what hardware and what systems software to buy would be appreciated.
Please reply in email to him at Bard at cup.portal.com [that's Bard as in
Shakespeare, a before r], not to me nor to the newsgroup.  He'll be reading
this newsgroup (I won't), but public follow-ups might all too likely result
in system wars, and moreover in email you can freely recommend something if
you stand to profit from its sale.

Follow-ups are directed to poster, since that is the only way I know to dis-
courage posted replies.  Mailed replies are directed to Bard at cup.portal.com;
I will forward any I receive, however.

David Tamkin   dattier at jolnet.orpk.il.us  {attctc,netsys,ddsw1}!jolnet!dattier
P. O. Box 813  Rosemont, Illinois  60018-0813   (312) 693-0591  (708) 518-6769
BIX: dattier                   GEnie: D.W.TAMKIN               CIS: 73720,1570
Jolnet is a public access system, where every user expresses personal opinions.