Object versions of UNIX for PDP11

Dan Berry dberry at lanai.cs.ucla.edu
Wed Oct 4 15:19:46 AEST 1989

A friend of mine in Israel has a PDP 11/83 with 4M main memory, 300M Maxtor
Disk, and 48 ports. For various reasons having to do with economic
situation over there, they find it more worthwhile to continue to use this
machine, maintenance and all, rather than to buy a new one. Some time ago,
I posted to this group to ask about source versions of UNIX for this
machine. The response of this inquiry made it clear that to get a source
version, the friend would have to buy a System V license from AT&T at 53K.
This is out of the question. Thus it appears that the friend will have to
go the object version of UNIX route. In the responses, I was quite
surprised to find out that there is a PDP11 version of ULTRIX available
from DEC. Apparently also Mt. Xinu can sublicense binary versions of bsd
2.9. Are there other object versions of UNIX available?
For each of these, X={ULTRIX, 2.9bsd, or other}, the questions are:

1. From whom is X=other available? where are they located?

2. If you have had experience with the PDP11 X, what is your
impression of it as a UNIX? Is it stable? Does it perform well?

3. There is a limit of 128KB for each of I and D space. Is this limit easy
to live with? Are there tools in X for overlaying programs to get them to fit?

4. Is X available in bootable form on tape? on an RM03 disk?

5. What is the cost of licensing X?

Thanks,
Dan
Prof. Daniel M. Berry, Computer Science Department, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA
90024-1596 Tel:+1-213-825-2971
Bitnet:DBERRY at TECHSEL, Csnet & Internet:dberry at cs.ucla.edu
DASnet:[DDB1DM]dberry, MCIMail:277-9346 <dberry>