Running processes as root

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.umd.edu
Mon Oct 23 01:29:03 AEST 1989

In article <21240 at adm.BRL.MIL> danl at midget.towson.edu writes:
>All of the above is quite wrong.  On all of the BSD derivatives I've used
>set-uid does work for shell scripts. ...

On all of the BSD derivatives on which setuid scripts run setuid,
all such setuid scripts are not secure.

>... you must think ahead to restrict the user to executing
>only the script you've choosen

With the existing implementations, this is not possible.  (Sorry.)
You have to write at least one C program.

It might be fixed in some future release.  It is not impossible to fix.
--
`They were supposed to be green.'
Domain:	chris at cs.umd.edu	Path:	uunet!mimsy!chris