How to do bad block replacement on RA81 under 4.3-tahoe?

Lars Henrik Mathiesen thorinn at skinfaxe.diku.dk
Fri Oct 27 03:12:09 AEST 1989

chris at mimsy.umd.edu (Chris Torek) writes:
>In article <1008 at asuvax.asu.edu> system at asuvax.asu.edu (Marc Lesure) writes:
>>I thought the 4.3-tahoe device driver for the ra disk series did bad block
>>replacement ...

>If you are really ambitious, add an ioctl to allow `replace' commands,
>and write a user-level program to do it.  You will have to let the
>program write past the `end' of the disk (either via another ioctl,
>or by `adjusting' the size of, e.g., the c partition).

If you have money (on the order of $5000 for small academic sites) you
could get MORE/bsd from MtXinu. It has bad block replacement for UDA
controllers (good thing), NFS (er ...), support (at extra price) for
HP 9000/300 machines (nice), _NO_ bad block forwarding _AT_ALL_ for
SCSI disks on the HPs (grumble), and lots of other stuff to make your
life more interesting.

``My only connection to MtXinu is as a paying customer.''
--
Lars Mathiesen, DIKU, U of Copenhagen, Denmark      [uunet!]mcvax!diku!thorinn
Institute of Datalogy -- we're scientists, not engineers.      thorinn at diku.dk