Simtel Shell

Tigger cs3sd3ai at maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca
Fri Oct 6 04:24:04 AEST 1989

I'm having some porblems writing a script to auto download files from
the Simtel archives.  What I would like to do is create a file
containing a list of the files i want, submit this as a batch file,
and relax.  This is what I have come up with so far :

csh> ftp -n < shellfile

where shellfile contains :

open 26.2.0.74		(open the simtel ftp)
user anonymous			(login as anonymous)
pass blah
cd pd1:<msdos.xxx>
get foo
get bar
quit
EOF

The problem is that when you send the user command to simtel, it responds
with Passord : without reading the next line in the file (giving the Pass
command).  I therefore have to type at the terminal during the script.
This, therefore, means that I can't submit this as a batch operation.

What am I doing wrong?  How can I tell simtel the password on the
user anonymous line?

BTW, were running a sun with BSD 4.3

Thanx for you help!

John Clarke