Finding links

Robert A. Earl rae98 at wash08.uucp
Fri Oct 20 22:49:40 AEST 1989

In article <8222 at cbmvax.UUCP> ag at cbmvax.UUCP (Keith Gabryelski) writes:
[ Long explanation about inodes and using 'find -inum' deleted
					      for the sake of brevity ]
>[*] Files can have links to files on other partitions, but this is
>done through a mechanism call 'soft links' that may not exist on your
>system (they exist on berkeley derived or sufficiently mutated SYSV
>systems).  You can tell if a file is a soft link by doing an 'ls -l',
>as:
>$ ls -l /tmp/Aen.c
>lrwxr-xr-x  1 ag              5 Oct 19 08:04 /tmp/Aen.c -> /z/unix/ag/aen.c
Just so you know, Keith, my "sufficiently mutated SYSV system" has
symbolic links (your 'soft links') (NCR Tower 32/650 SVR2), but the
output of 'ls -l' does not show this.  I am not claiming this is right
or wrong (personally, I like the BSD listing you showed...it is very
clear that not only is it a link, but it is linked to /z/unix/ag/aen.c),
just that it exists.