saving directories when they don't fit on 1 tape

Art Gentry gentry at kcdev.UUCP
Mon Oct 2 11:02:49 AEST 1989

In article <1454 at mdbs.UUCP>, wsmith at mdbs.UUCP (Bill Smith) writes:
> Is there an automatic, reasonably portable way to save a directory and all
> files beneath it on tape when it does not fit on a single piece of media
> and can not easily be split at the next level down in the directory tree?

At least on my Hewlett Packard and AT&T systems, both tar and cpio will do
multi tape saves.  They will write untill eot is detected and then prompt
for another device to continue writting.  If you just hit [return], they
will continue writing to the same device (after you have changed the tape,
of course!! :-})

--
| R. Arthur Gentry     AT&T Communications     Kansas City, MO     64106 |
| Email: attctc!kcdev!gentry        ATTMail: attmail!kc4rtm!gentry       |