saving directories when they don't fit on 1 tape

John G. De Armond jgd at rsiatl.UUCP
Wed Oct 4 19:13:59 AEST 1989

In article <1220 at virtech.UUCP> cpcahil at virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) writes:

>Cpio does not allow this.  You must enter the name of the output device for
>each follow on tape. This is the most agravating feature of any unix utility
>that I use.   Invariably I will absent mindedly hit just a return on the 12th
>diskette and have to remake the entire set.
>
>I would prefer the mechanism that you specify or at least a mechanism that
>requires a confirmation that you wish to abort the archiving.

Wrong.  If you will read the fine print while you are RTFM, you will note
that this mode of operation only happens when you redirect the output
of cpio to a tape device.  If  you instead use the -O option to tell
cpio what device to use, it will happily continue using the same device.
A command line like:

cpio -oO /dev/tape ...

will do exactly what you want.

Disclaimer:  I know this works on Microport, Interactive, Convergent
and AT&T 3b2xxx systems.  Your results may vary.

John
--
John De Armond, WD4OQC                     | Manual? ... What manual ?!?
Radiation Systems, Inc.     Atlanta, GA    | This is Unix, My son, You