Version 9 Unix

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Wed Oct 11 17:01:34 AEST 1989

In article <1989Oct10.215504.3391 at sdsu.edu> arul at sdsu.edu (Arul Ananthanarayanan) writes:
>I am curious as to what Version 9 Unix is like. I hear that it is run
>in-house at Bell Labs.
>Is it similar to System V, or BSD4.3?
>Pointers to any papers would be greatly appreciated.

Ninth Edition Unix evolved from the Eighth Edition, which evolved from
4BSD.  Along the way, many modifications and additions occurred, among
them the "streams" I/O subsystem (precursor of System V STREAMS), file
system switch, network filesystem, processes as files, Blit support,
and much more.  Apart from the BLTJ special issue on Unix (not the
BSTJ special issue!), papers can be found in many of the USENIX
Conference Proceedings and in a few other journals.  The Tenth Edition
of the Unix documentation is being prepared now (the system itself
undergoes continual evolution; the hardcopy documentation is officially
updated every so often).

UNIX System V Release 4 will include much of the Ninth Edition's
facilities, generally in somewhat revised form.