Cartridge Tape Drives

Ray Benash rjb at bpa.BELL-ATL.COM
Sat Oct 21 00:47:55 AEST 1989

I would like to add an 8 track cartridge on my System V Rel. 2.0 Vax-785
ver. 2 machine, to allow unattended backups.

I'm currently looking at a Systems Industries SI59, but don't really care
who the vendor would be at this point. It looks to me like this drive
is probably being sold for use on VMS systems. I have been told that I
would need a TU81 driver for their drive.

Is anyone on the net using a cartridge drive to perform unattended full
backups? If so, who is the vendor, where did you get the driver, and
what did you pay for the subsystem?

The SI59 comes with a Systems Industries interface for the Unibus, but
they do not supply a driver for UNIX, so I am told. Anyone have experience
with this unit?

If this is not the appropriate newsgroup please email.

						Thanks in advance,
						Ray Benash
						bpa!rjb
						215-466-6828