Cartridge Tape Drives

Calvin Hayden cgh018 at tijc02.UUCP
Wed Oct 25 03:43:42 AEST 1989

>From article <732 at bpa.BELL-ATL.COM>, by rjb at bpa.BELL-ATL.COM (Ray Benash):
>
> I would like to add an 8 track cartridge on my System V Rel. 2.0 Vax-785
> ver. 2 machine, to allow unattended backups.
I've got a Vax 8600 running SysV R2 V2 as well.  We are also looking at
unattended backups, in particular the SI59 - sounds familiar eh :-)
> I'm currently looking at a Systems Industries SI59, but don't really care
> who the vendor would be at this point. It looks to me like this drive
> is probably being sold for use on VMS systems. I have been told that I
> would need a TU81 driver for their drive.
Me too.  Our vendor - Uniq Digital Tech. (Now ProTech Computer Group) -
has said it would work if it is placed at such-and-such csr.
> Is anyone on the net using a cartridge drive to perform unattended full
> backups? If so, who is the vendor, where did you get the driver, and
> what did you pay for the subsystem?
Not using yet, but am waiting on unit to test drive for a month.  If all
goes ok, then may try to add a second unit.
> The SI59 comes with a Systems Industries interface for the Unibus, but
> they do not supply a driver for UNIX, so I am told. Anyone have experience
> with this unit?
We have a TS11 driver, which is supposed to be what we need - I am told -,
but not sure yet.  Will know more when we get it in, and try to configure
for it.

If you find out anything more, please let me know as well.

Calvin Hayden
Texas Instruments, Johnson City, Tn.
Voice (615)461-2254
UUCP:  ...mcnc!rti!tijc02!{root,cgh018}