Can ^? == ^H?

jim frost madd at world.std.com
Thu Oct 19 07:08:44 AEST 1989

In article <496 at sagpd1.UUCP> jharkins at sagpd1.UUCP (Jim Harkins) writes:
>Is it possible to have both the backspace and delete keys be erase?

This depends on what you're running.  I can't find a way to do so on
the Sun console, but when running X you can use:

	xmodmap -e BackSpace = Delete

which worked for me.

If you're running Xenix there is a utility to remap the keyboard any
way you like, which also worked for me.  Under ISC 386/ix there is an
ioctl to remap the keys, but no utility to do so.  Remapping can also
be done under NeWS and 4Sight, which I've seen done but never tried
myself.

Aside from that, you might think about telling the keyboard
manufacturer that the keyboard needs a real delete key, not this
backspace thing :-).  On the Sun type 4 keyboard I find the backspace
and delete keys so close together (and the backspace where delete used
to be) that I just ended up mapping them together and fuming over poor
keyboard design.  And those extra keys between home-row and return
that keyboard designers keep insisting need to be there.... Grr.

jim frost
software tool & die
madd at std.com