Marketing wizardry & handling of far-east languages.

Ian Feldman ianf at nada.kth.se
Sun Oct 1 14:17:44 AEST 1989

In article <2033 at cbnewsl.ATT.COM> ry at cbnewsl.ATT.COM (ryerson.schwark,sf,)
comments upon Richard Goerwitz' conclusion:
> Arndt Johanssen [...]
> will probably have to settle for a short-sighted hack
> that some independent firm, or else some national branch of a larger
> firm, has developed to meet his particular sort of need.

thus:

> Not True!  AT&T [...]
> have created some generalized solutions to address both Asian
> and European languages.

  Oh, yes?  I challenge you to come up with a solution to the Polish,
  Slovak, Czech, Croatian, Latvian and few other European Latin-character
  alfabets not currently cared for in either the EBCDIC, the "8-bit ASCII,"
  or the DEC Multinational character sets.  Not to mention the present-day's
  TOTAL inability to address/ display/ communicate with computers in bi-
  lingual or multi-lingual mode...

  Seems to me any solution to the above that is based on post-addressing
 "the problem" instead of making it a part of the basic-design stage is
  bound to fail in the end.... see the "short-sighted hacks" that Richard
  was talking about.

  P.S. The computer czars have gotten away with it so far.  Now that
  Poland is about to re-join the Western society (in principle if not
  yet in spirit) there is one less excuse for not catering to 'East-
  European Commie languages'

--
----
------ ianf at nada.kth.se/ @sekth.bitnet/ uunet!nada.kth.se!ianf