Cartridge tape questions

Witold Paluszynski witold at cs.washington.edu
Mon Oct 30 09:56:13 AEST 1989

In article <169 at iquery.UUCP> matt at iquery.UUCP (Matt Reedy) writes:
>I'm confused about quarter-inch cartridge tape drives.  I read that there are
>40MB, 60MB, 120MB, & 150MB tape drives.  I read about "standards" like QIC-24
>My real reason for asking is that we want to get a quarter-inch tape drive for
>a 386 *NIX machine that is as portable as possible (i.e., we'd like to be able
>to make tapes on this machine that can be read on the widest possible variety
>of other *NIX machines).

Well, there appears to be lots of QIC standards but the answer to
this question is simple: they are generally INCOMPATIBLE.  I was
recently shopping for a quarter inch drive with similar objectives
(compatibility with other systems) and I was amazed to discover
that 60 MB drives were incompatible with 150 MB drives.  Yes, you
can read a 60 MB tape in a 150 MB drive, but you can't write it.

What I would expect is the sort of upwards compatibility as with
9 track tapes, where even the newest drives can write 800 bpi tapes.
I guess the manufacturers have discovered that with that much
compatibility people just keep using their old drives instead of
replacing them with new ones all the time.  So they were careful to
prevent this kind of disaster by designing incompatible standards.

I hope someone can prove me wrong.
Witold