PROMPT

Sun Visualization Products matthew at sunpix.UUCP
Thu Oct 26 05:55:10 AEST 1989

In article <21262 at adm.BRL.MIL> shahryar at sutro.sfsu.edu (Shahryar G. Hashemi) writes:
|Hello there,
|
|I have a question about setting up my prompt in UNIX.  In DOS you can a:
|PROMPT $P$G
|and it will automaticaly change my prompt when I change to a new directory.
|
|I would like to know how to do this same command in UNIX.  I have tried
|alias {but no good man pages}.  Could someone out there please help me.
|
|Shahryar Ghazneini Hashemi
|
|<shahryar at sutro.sfsu.edu>

Since you mention 'aliases' I'm assuming your working in csh.  (I different between
the shell on how to set the prompt.

Your write about using alias.  Try this (its off the cuff, but should work):

alias cd 'cd \!*; set prompt = "${cwd}> "'

--
Matthew Lee Stier                            |
Sun Microsystems ---  RTP, NC  27709-3447    |     "Wisconsin   Escapee"