How does man know?

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.chi.il.us
Wed Oct 4 05:14:31 AEST 1989

In article <11211 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:

>Actually, *I* said it should be done in the terminal;
>somebody else said it should be done in the terminal handler
>(loosely called the device driver) and explained how theirs worked.
>What we agreed on was that pagination rightfully should be dealt
>with considerably closer to the viewer, who has pagination needs,
>not in the applications that should perform orthogonal functions.

But the sole function of pg/more/etc. is to act as a handy interface
for the user based on a certain amount of knowledge about the viewing
device.  Thus the appropriate thing to do is to modify the pagination
filters to know about your device (or device driver) and output
accordingly.  Then everything remains orthogonal.

Les Mikesell