A Plea to "rn" users

Doug McDonald mcdonald at aries.scs.uiuc.edu
Tue Jan 16 02:25:23 AEST 1990

The following is from a somewhat unrelated posting:

>Just because Jonas has a .UUCP suffix in his address doesn't mean that he
>is without FTP ability.  By default, RN sets the "Reply-To:" field to
>"%L@%H.UUCP (%N)", where %L is expanded to the poster's login ID, %H is
>expanded to the name of the host, and %N is expanded to the poster's full
>name.  The SA is free to change these defaults before compiling RN.  Of
>course, the SA is also free to leave them alone.

This seems to be a severe problem. I find that very large numbers
of headers are of the form "somebody at someplace.UUCP" with the telltale
capital UUCP in them. In my experience, about 95% of the time mail
to these places bounces. Is is possible for people to get into their
news software and fix this to something useful? We have fixed
our software so that it reads "somebody at aries.scs.uiuc.edu" which
is a useful address. Isn't it fair to say that you should use
a .uucp address only if that is the ONLY address you have (or maybe
if you also have Bitnet but not internet)?

Doug McDonald (mcdonald at aries.scs.uiuc.edu also known as
               mcdonald at 128.174.90.55)