vmunix message

Nik Simpson x4333 nik at st_nik!swindon.ingr.com
Tue Feb 5 20:23:50 AEST 1991

In article <262 at mwuk.UUCP> tony at mwuk.UUCP (Tony Mountifield) writes:
>Hi Folks,
>
>I am running a Sun-3/80M with SunOS 4.0.3.
>
>I have just received the following console message:
>
>	vmunix: /home: optimization changed from TIME to SPACE
>
>What exactly does this mean, and why would the kernel have decided to do it?
>
>I have tried looking up likely places in the manuals to no avail.
>
>Please mail replies, thanks.
>
>Tony.
>--
	The message is referring to a change in disk space allocation on the
/home file system,  when the disk partition gets more than about 80%
full the kernel changes the algorithm for allocating disk space ,  normally
it seeks to optimise disk performance,  when space gets tight it will
try to optimise the use of the remaining space.  The point at which this
happens can be set by the System Administrator by using the "tunefs(1M)"
command.  You will take quite a performance penalty if this is happening
on a heavily used file system.

--
|  Nik Simpson	UUCP :uunet!ingr!swindon!st_nik!nik|