Korn Tilde expansion

Pete_Bob Apple petebob at sequent.UUCP
Wed Feb 6 06:13:42 AEST 1991

In article <4401 at syma.sussex.ac.uk> stevedc at syma.sussex.ac.uk (Stephen Carter) writes:
>Sequent Dynix - Korn Shell tilde (~) expansion
>
>We want to allow the operators the option of entering (eg)
>~stevec/foo.txt instead of having to enter
>/user3/division/section/stevec/foo.
>
>However, try as we may, we cannot get the following logic (or a wide
>range of variants of it to work:

<shell script deleted>

>We have tried it with and without single quotes, double quotes, curly
>brackets...
>
>Question:  Can it be done?  If so how?  If not on Dynix, then is this
>inability a 'feature' of Dynix.

#!/bin/ksh
#       .
#       .  cuts here to make it shorter

echo "  from  (eg /user2/pers/artemish/wp1/file1.txt) : \c"
read from
eval from=$from
echo $from

Hope this helps.  Ksh on Dynix is (hopefully) equivalent to ksh on any
other machine.  (That's what we had in mind, anyway.  :-)

--
Pete_Bob Apple						Sequent Computer Systems
petebob at sequent.com, sequent!petebob			15450 S.W. Koll Parkway