Is RCS in the public domain?

Paul Eggert eggert at twinsun.com
Tue Feb 5 06:57:30 AEST 1991

boogaard at ruunsa.fys.ruu.nl (Martin vdBoogaard) writes:

>I remember reading some time ago that one of the advantages of RCS over SCCS
>was that RCS was in the public domain, while SCCS wasn't.
>Can anybody tell me whether this is correct and, if so, where the
>sources for RCS can be obtained (ftp?).

RCS is copylefted, which is not the same as public domain, but it does mean the
source is freely available.  You can FTP it from the following sites:

    site                filename
    archive.cs.ruu.nl   /pub/GNU/rcs-5.5.tar.Z
    cs.purdue.edu       pub/RCS/rcs.5_5.tar.Z
    prep.ai.mit.edu     pub/gnu/rcs-5.5.tar.Z
    uunet.uu.net        gnu/rcs-5.5.tar.Z

It works best with GNU diff 1.15; look for diff-1.15.tar.Z.