Stuck at login

Marien de Clercq clercqm at nijmeg
Mon Feb 18 22:23:20 AEST 1991

Lately I have problems with a particular login on an Intergraph IS6000
machine running CLIX (Intergraph's Unix) R3.1 version Vc.4.0.9.

The problem is that when I login in as one particular user, after giving in
the password the machine 'hangs'. It does not react anymore to the keyboard
and the only way to get out of this is to kill the window (or the session on
the terminal server).
The strange thing about this is that login in as another user who uses the same
home directory and '.profile' as the one that gets stuck, works fine.
If I 'su' to the user who gets stuck with the '-' option, the login hangs
after the password, just as when login in from the login prompt.
But if I do it without the '-' option, it works fine. When I then execute the
'.profile', that also works fine (so does it for the other user that uses the
same '.profile').

I also tried if removing and adding the user back to the system would help,
but the same thing kept happening.

So it seems to me that something strange must happen after the acceptation of
the password and before the execution of '.profile' (and probably before the
execution of '/etc/profile'.
And that only happens for this particular user, no other account on this
machine has any such problems. And the problems with this one just started to
happen from one day on another !

Can anyone help me, because now I have to login as another user, 'su'
to the one with the problems, 'cd' to it's home directory and execute the
'.profile' everytime before being able to work as the user with the login
problem. And that's becoming a bore.

Marien de Clercq

Intergraph European Manufacturing - bv.
Nijmegen - The Netherlands