Stuck at login

Peter Whittaker pww at bnr.ca
Thu Feb 21 02:10:47 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb18.112320.25917 at nijmeg> clercqm at nijmeg (Marien de Clercq) writes:
> The problem is that when I login in as one particular user, after giving in
> the password the machine 'hangs'. It does not react anymore to the keyboard
> and the only way to get out of this is to kill the window (or the session on
> the terminal server).

One possibility: do you have any NFS mounts?  If that particular ID is
attempting to set its path variable to a set of directories that includes
an NFS mounted disk that is not available, then you will not be able to
proceed past the 'set path=dfjkf' part of your .cshrc or .login....

If this is the problem, either remove the annoying element from the path,
or mount the particular file system soft (hard is the default) and specify
a bound on retry.  RTFM for NFS, pating close attention to intr, soft, retry.

--
Peter Whittaker      [~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~]   Open Systems Integration
pww at bnr.ca           [                          ]   Bell Northern Research