Stuck at login

Kermit Tensmeyer tensmekl at infonode.ingr.com
Wed Feb 20 08:25:46 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb18.112320.25917 at nijmeg> clercqm at nijmeg (Marien de Clercq) writes:

>Lately I have problems with a particular login on an Intergraph IS6000
>machine running CLIX (Intergraph's Unix) R3.1 version Vc.4.0.9.
>
>The problem is that when I login in as one particular user, after giving in
>the password the machine 'hangs'. It does not react anymore to the keyboard
>and the only way to get out of this is to kill the window (or the session on
>the terminal server).
>The strange thing about this is that login in as another user who uses the same
>home directory and '.profile' as the one that gets stuck, works fine.
>If I 'su' to the user who gets stuck with the '-' option, the login hangs
>after the password, just as when login in from the login prompt.
>But if I do it without the '-' option, it works fine. When I then execute the
>'.profile', that also works fine (so does it for the other user that uses the
>same '.profile').

	For the project, that I'm working on now, we sometimes used
	several users in the same home directory. We would get problems
	much the same if the user didn't have permission to access some of
	the files. Check for instance the .sh_history file or the .env files.

	Also as others have stated, check the values for owner and group
	in the /etc/passwd. try su -le <new uid> as well.

--
Kermit Tensmeyer                        | Intergraph Corporation
UUCP:     ...uunet!ingr!tensmekl	| One Madison Industrial Park