WD 16-bit Ethercard memory

Andrew Hardie omega!ash at relay.eu.net
Tue Feb 19 18:14:38 AEST 1991

I am struggling with the installation of a Western Digital 16-bit Ethercard
plus. I am not sure quite where the problem lies. The box (Compaq 386/25)
and the OS (SCO UNIX 3.2R2 with TCP/IP 1.1.1) and choice of I/O (240) and
IRQ (2) seem to be OK and an 8-bit Ethercard works fine in same location
and with same settings. After realising that the MAC address seems to be
read and fixed in when the kernel is relinked, I have been most careful to
do a remove on the wdn, relink, then install wdn and relink again. Still no
luck. Symptoms are: either (a) doesn't work at all or (b) works once and
then quits (i.e. you can ping the host once either in or out, and that
works, but that's it and nothing more works over the net) Suggestions,
please?

Also, the WD docs say that 128K RAM is used when running under UNIX; what
is the best address to use in the mkdev wdn to get the benefit of this? The
usual D000 is refused if a memory size of 128K is specified. Supplier's
comment was that "they only ever assigned 8K RAM when using this board";
this strikes me as a waste of a high-performance board.

Thanks