What does rc stand for?

Steve Hayman sahayman at porbeagle.cs.indiana.edu
Sat Feb 23 01:49:37 AEST 1991

    >I suspect the answer is in the Frequently Asked Questions list.

Actually, this one isn't.  I thought it was.  I'm trying to find out
some sort of 'official' documentation of what 'rc' stands for - it's not
in the jargon file, and I couldn't find anytning in "Life with Unix" -
and if I do, I'll add it to the FAQ list.

If anyone has any firm confirmation of what 'rc' stands for, please email me.
(Please don't email me just to say "I think it stands for 'run command'".)

Thanks,
Steve
The FAQ guy.

P.S. Now that the jargon file is getting fairly wide distribution,
I'm thinking of dropping the pronunciation section from the FAQ list
and replacing it with a pointer to the jargon file.  If anybody feels
strongly one way or the other about this, please let me know.