What does rc stand for?

Jonathan I. Kamens jik at athena.mit.edu
Sat Feb 23 01:59:00 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb22.094951.9539 at news.cs.indiana.edu>, sahayman at porbeagle.cs.indiana.edu (Steve Hayman) writes:
|>     >I suspect the answer is in the Frequently Asked Questions list.
|>
|> Actually, this one isn't.  I thought it was.  I'm trying to find out
|> some sort of 'official' documentation of what 'rc' stands for - it's not
|> in the jargon file, and I couldn't find anytning in "Life with Unix" -
|> and if I do, I'll add it to the FAQ list.

  It isn't in the comp.unix.questions FAQ.  It is in the
news.announce.newusers FAQ:

 4.  What does "rc" at the end of files like .newsrc mean?

     It is related to the phrase "run commands." It is used for any
     file that contains startup information for a command.  The use of
     "rc" in startup files derives from the /etc/rc command file used
     to start multi-user UNIX.

--
Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace