Using Unix as a mail archive

Neil Rickert rickert at mp.cs.niu.edu
Fri Feb 15 02:07:50 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb14.133533.10078 at aucs.AcadiaU.ca> peter at aucs.acadiau.ca (Peter Steele) writes:

>    network-tr: "| cat >> /u/archive/network-tr"
>
>                                           However, the only way I can
>seem to get this to work is to make the account and file world writeable,
>which is not acceptable. I've played around with group protection but
>can't seem to get something that works. When an alias like this is

  This is a 'sendmail' feature, although some label it as a misfeature.
For a local sender, the command is executed with the permissions of the
mail sender.  For a sender from a different system, it uses the permissions
of daemon.  The term 'local sender' above needs some interpretation.  On a
network which shares common mail names, a sender on any of the workstations
in the network might be considered local.

 I don't guarantee the following will work.  It may depend on the version
of 'sendmail'.  Try:

   network-tr:	:include:/usr/lib/mail/network-tr

and in the file /usr/lib/mail/network-tr have the single entry:

    "| cat >> /u/archive/network-tr"

 Of course you can choose a different name and path for your ':include:'
file if you wish.  But try making it owned by daemon and in group daemon.
Recent versions of sendmail use the ownership/group of the ':include:'
file to run such a program.