Looking for regression testing package

Don Libes libes at cme.nist.gov
Fri Feb 15 09:38:56 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb14.141001.1899 at bwdls61.bnr.ca> mleech at bwdlh131.bnr.ca (Marcus Leech) writes:
>We're looking for a package to do regression testing of packages we
>get from third party prior to releasing them to our user population.
>We'd like something that can (using a script) simulate a human typing
>on the keyboard.  I'm aware of "expect/tcl"--are they appropriate?

"Regression Testing and Conformance Testing Interactive Programs" is
the name of a paper recently submitted to a journal.  Until it is
accepted, it can't be given out but here is the abstract:

  ABSTRACT: Testing interactive programs, by its nature, requires
  interaction - usually by real people.  Such testing is an expensive
  process and hence rarely done.  Some interactive tools can be used
  non-interactively to a limited extent, and are often tested only this
  way.  Purely interactive programs are rarely tested in any systematic
  way.

  This paper describes expect, a tool for general testing of interactive
  line- and character-oriented programs.  expect can also be used to
  automate standards conformance testing of the many interactive
  programs in, say, POSIX 1003.2.  This, and other software engineering
  applications of expect are described in this paper.