Is this a console window?

Claudius A. Smirzitz cas at vexpert.dbai.tuwien.ac.at
Sat Feb 16 00:58:36 AEST 1991

Hi there,

could someone please help me with this:

When I start a shell/cmdtool with -C I get a "console window".

1) How can I determine (for instance in my .cshrc) whether I'm in a
   "console window" or just in a normal shell/cmdtool? This should
   work on sun3 (SunOS 4.0.3_EXPORT) & sun4 (SunOS 4.0.3c) &
   sun386 (SunOS 4.0.2). (There is a variable IS_CONSOLE, but
   only on sun386).

2) How can I check if a message has been sent to this console?
   I don't want to have the window open all the time but I would
   like to have something like 3 beeps to notify me of important
   messages - maybe with a change of the icon (like the mail/newstool).

Thanx in advanz for any help.

wbr cas
--
BUT IT'S MY ONLY LINE !! --- cas at dbai.tuwien.ac.at v ..(mcsun!)tuvie!dbai!cas