rsh revisited

Matt Ranney t22918 at ursa.calvin.edu
Tue Feb 19 14:41:27 AEST 1991

I've been experimenting with the rsh command latlely, and have a few
problems.  I have 2 accounts here, one on a SparcStation (fast
enough), and one on a Sun-3 (terribly slow).  The Sparc is where I do
almost all of my stuff, but the class I'm in now (Ada) requires the
use of the Sun-3, because for some reason, they coulnd't find a cheap
Ada compiler for a 4.  Anyway, when more than one person gets on
there, the response time is unberably slow.  What I'd like to do is to
be able to edit the source on the Sparc, and have it do it's 3 minute
compilation on the Sun-3.  So, I thought, "well, I'll just change my
Makefile to this:"

ban: ban.tof
	rsh ucpsc adalib link ban

ban.tof: ban.ada
	rsh ucpsc tada -Op0 ada/ban.ada

where ucpsc is the remote Sun-3.  This does call the compiler
correctly, except the sourcefile that it's looking for is still on the
Sun-3.  (I slap myself on the head for not thinking this at first)

Any suggestions?

--
Matt Ranney                     "There are a few occasions where you do
t22918 at ursa.calvin.edu           need to use a 'GOTO'... but... well