rsh revisited

Gary Weimer 588-0953 weimer at garden.kodak.COM
Wed Feb 20 06:41:04 AEST 1991

In article <t22918.666934887 at ursa>, t22918 at ursa.calvin.edu (Matt Ranney)
writes:
|> ...  So, I thought, "well, I'll just change my
|> Makefile to this:"
|>
|> ban: ban.tof
|> 	rsh ucpsc adalib link ban
|>
|> ban.tof: ban.ada
|> 	rsh ucpsc tada -Op0 ada/ban.ada
|>
|> where ucpsc is the remote Sun-3.  This does call the compiler
|> correctly, except the sourcefile that it's looking for is still on the
|> Sun-3.  (I slap myself on the head for not thinking this at first)
   ^^^^^

|> Any suggestions?

Assuming this 'Sun-3' should be 'Sun-4':

"Best" solution: usr NFS. If your doing your work in your account on the
Sun4, have the Sun3 mount that file system (preferably with the same
path). This will make the files available on both machines.

"Other" solution: have your make file copy the source to the Sun3.

NEXT PROBLEM:
rsh will put you in your home directory, not where your source files
are. This can be fixed by changing your makefile to:

 ban: ban.tof
 	rsh ucpsc cd $(REMOTEDIR); adalib link ban

 ban.tof: ban.ada
 	rsh ucpsc cd $(REMOTEDIR); tada -Op0 ada/ban.ada

LAST PROBLEM (yeah--right (-: )
The executables will have to be run on the Sun3.

weimer at ssd.kodak.com ( Gary Weimer )